Kuwait has been forced to pull out of an agreement with the United States to shut down the Islamic State group’s Al-Qa’ida-linked terrorist camps, the United Nations said Friday.
The move comes as the Islamic militants are advancing toward the capital, Kuwait City.
President Donald Trump threatened to move the U.S. Embassy in the Gulf state from Tel Aviv to the Gulf country if Kuwait failed to end the deadly attacks.
The United States had been moving the embassy to Kuwait City as a stopgap measure until the United Kingdom and Israel agreed to halt the deadly fighting.
The deal between Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates has been in place for more than a year and had been touted as a major boost for the two nations.
It also provided for the closure of the camps where thousands of men, women and children are being held hostage by the terrorist group.
However, the U-Agency and the U,S.
embassy in Kuwait announced that they would no longer be in touch and would be leaving the embassy premises on Sept. 30.
Kuwait said it had no immediate plans to move its embassy in Tel Aviv and will “continue to focus on supporting our partners in the region,” a statement from the embassy said.
“We appreciate the efforts of the Kuwait government, including our U.N. mission, in the fight against the ISIS [Daesh] threat.”
The United Arab Emirate has long been one of the key partners for Kuwait, with U.A.E. and Kuwaiti troops leading efforts to counter ISIS.
In May, the Kuwaiti government said it would commit to hosting U.K. troops in the country in exchange for a $4 billion loan.
Kuwait has also been a major sponsor of the United Nation’s mission in Iraq, which has been operating for nearly a year.
The U.NA. launched its mission in December 2015 and has been carrying out operations in Iraq and Syria.
Kuwait, which hosts more than 2 million refugees from the war in Syria, has welcomed more than 7,000 refugees from Syria and more than 1,200 from Iraq since the start of the operation, according to the UNA.
The new U.SA. envoy to Iraq, Adel Ibrahim Al-Rafati, said Friday that the USA is committed to helping Iraq and the people of Iraq rebuild after the devastating war that has left a humanitarian catastrophe and a humanitarian disaster toll that has exceeded $5 billion.
“This is a new chapter for Iraq, a new era for the country and a new role for Iraq,” Al-Raafati said in a statement.
The government is planning to hold a memorial service for the victims of the deadly attack on the Al-Khalil mosque on Thursday and said it will hold a commemoration of the attacks on Sunday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.